Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Protecting #6 with 12,000 Calories a Day



Nearly 12,000 calories, 24 hours, 1 body. USC’s most versatile offensive lineman, Max Tuerk, sometimes does not have enough hours in the day to eat all that he needs.
At 17 years old, Tuerk was the first true freshman to start at left tackle in USC history. The young lineman then moved to starting guard for the Trojan’s 2013 season. As a junior, Tuerk’s versatility and athleticism allowed him to emerge as starting center as a junior in 2014.
“I started noticing my weight loss affecting me on the field when I moved to the interior line from tackle and guard because the guys I’m going up against are a lot heavier and when you’re lighter than them it affects your ability to drive opponents off the ball during run plays and anchor down against strong pass rushers,” Tuerk said.
As the NFL Scouting Combine wraps up this evening in Indianapolis, Indiana, the average weight during the Offensive Lineman Weigh-In was 312 pounds, according to SBNation.com. At 6’6 and 280 pounds, Tuerk is challenging himself over the next six months to gain at least another 20 pounds to give himself an advantage against his heavy competition. 
Tuerk and I arrived at Little Galen, a popular on-campus hangout spot for USC athletes. Tuerk ordered his favorite meal- steak, asparagus, and of course, mashed potatoes- and was happily greeted by several cooks and employees who know this frequent customer by name.  
As we sat down to have what I thought to be our 12pm lunch, the 21 year old politely laughed and told me this is his third meal of the day already. In disbelief, he gave me a run-down of his daily schedule… 

5am Wake up                2-4pm Workout
6am Workout                4pm Chipotle or Subway
7:30am Breakfast         6pm Dinner #1
10am Snack                  9pm Dinner #2
12pm Lunch                10pm Bed

The Public Policy and Development student-athlete assured me that he also attends all of his classes, mandatory tutoring sessions and weekly group projects with his fellow classmates.
Tuerk says the pressure of having to gain 20 pounds despite this vigorous schedule is no problem.
I like it, it’s good. It’s easy for me because I just get to eat everything in sight. I’m always eating whether it’s inside class or relaxing before practice. I eat a lot of meat, nuts, carbs and three 1,500 calorie protein shakes every day,” Tuerk said.
Although he is 20-30 pounds lighter than his competition, Tuerk does not let that get to his head because he “feels faster when he’s lighter”.
According to Tuerk’s USC Football profile, he was named CollegeFootballNews.com and Phil Steele Freshman All-American first teams, All-Pac-12 honorable mention and Phil Steele All-Pac-12 third team in 2012, as well as Sophomore All-American honorable mention and All-Pac-12 honorable mention and Phil Steele All-Pac-12 third team in 2013. Recently, Tuerk was among the conference’s elite as he was named All-Pac-12 First Team for the 2014 season. 

However, this lineman’s competitive drive won’t allow him to stop there. In early December, Tuerk announced that he would be returning for his senior season to play with the Trojans.
 “I want to get my degree and I want to win a National Championship,” Tuerk said.
In the meantime, the towering lineman walks out of Little Galen with a gallon of water in tow and he is off to his 2pm weigh in before his afternoon practice.
And of course, he is already looking forward to his 4pm Chipotle burrito.  

No comments:

Post a Comment